Sunday, November 18, 2007

Computer Games and Pop Culture References

I don't know when or why it first happened, but computer role-playing games (especially the online variety) have been getting more and more "in" jokes added to them. Generally, I find them good for a chuckle or a quick groan (depending on quality), but I ran across one in my current "main" game, Tabula Rasa, that had me laughing outright.

Tabula Rasa is a "military" game, and, at a major base, that means PA announcements, among other things. The announcements here cover a broad range, from bureaucratic to wry to downright funny, but the best was from a Captain Koons, voiced in the style of Christopher Walken, saying he had somebody's watch, and that they could claim it at the infirmary... a reference to the Pulp Fiction "watch" segment. Sorry I can't give you the exact text, but I was laughing too hard to remember it exactly.

No comments: