Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Bits of no great interest: a trip to Safeway

OK, the title sucks, and the post won't be much better, but... every so often, I get it in my head to hit a store other than the "regular", if for no other reason than to remind myself that there is more than one way to do things. This time, the added advantage of doing groceries on the way home from work without going well out of my way in a snowstorm had me stopping at a Safeway, where two bits come to mind:

  • They have Nong Shim! This will mean absolutely nothing to you poor souls that burned out on ramen in college, but Nong Shim is to Top Ramen and its ilk as Taco Time nachos are to Taco Bell nachos (and for those of you without access to a Taco Time, I weep for you, between bites... :)). Honestly, for "instant" ramen, it's the best stuff I've had outside of Japan.
  • They have... WiFi? I suppose it's to let their in-store "deli" compete with other fast-food eateries these days, but it instantly struck me that it would allow shoppers armed with a portable surfing device to price check their goods versus their competitors on-the-fly, which just can't be good for their main business.

No comments: