Thursday, June 4, 2009

DVD Pick: Idiocracy

Wow... I don't know how I practically missed hearing about this one (I only got tipped off to it by one friend, and somehow missed its time in the theater, and never heard anything intelligible about it online). Suffice it to say, I'm glad I did catch wind of this film... it targeted one of my persistent dreads about the fate of the human race, and blew way past anything I could have come up with, leaving me laughing out loud at the absurdity of it all.

The setup involves a slacker army grunt and a prostitute getting the "Buck Rogers" treatment (one year cryosleep turning into 500), and waking up an a world where intelligence has been all but bred out of the human race (the illustration behind that concept was sheer genius, I might add). Hilarity ensues, with trips through the hospital, prison, Costco (but, sadly, not Wal-Mart), and the corridors of power, ending up with an episode of Monday Night Rehabilitation to remember. Beyond that, I won't say too much... it's too much fun to watch "the smartest man alive" try to cope with the society that is still semi-functional despite the Darwin-inviting stupidity of everyone else.

No, it's not high cinema... heck, it's barely low cinema. But, sometimes, something that will make you laugh, without feeling dirty for doing so (I'm looking at you, Borat) is better still.

No comments: