Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Good on ya, Comcast!

It's not often I say good things about Comcast, but they appear to have rethought a decision I disagreed with. Ever since Internet providers started talking about capping and/or metering traffic, my basic stance has been that, sure, that's your right, but you'd best make those traffic measurements available to me to view, contest, what have you... which Comcast saw no need for, but compensated by making their cap quite high (as they would put it, 99% of users never approach their 250GB cap).

Now, at least in my area, Comcast is running a pilot program to let end-users that care to look view their data usage (link). Mind you, you still have to dig a bit to find it, if you don't know where to look already, but it's a big step forward... I can only hope it "sticks", and everybody gets to use it.

Best of all, I compared their numbers to what my router tells me I've used... right now, Comcast lists me at 11GB for the month, while the router says 14GB. I don't know whether the difference is due to a lag in data collection, or if there's some data they are discounting, accidentally or on purpose... but, at the very least, they're not saying I'm using more than I'm seeing, so that's a definite plus.

No comments: