Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Yes, please.

I'm sure I've ranted once or twice here about the lack of Internet competition provided by Comcast and Qwest, my local cable and phone companies... the problem being, short of one or the other improving their service and/or lowering their prices (none too likely, in either case), I couldn't see any "viable" third option coming to play. That changes today, with Google deciding to run a test project on entering the fray with true fiber-to-the-home Internet connectivity (link).

In brief, Google wants to run 1 Gbit connections to homes in its test area (at least 50 times faster than the fastest cable Comcast provides these days), and let you choose from a variety of Internet providers to get your service through their hardware... you know, kind of like in the old days of dialup, where there was active competition for your Internet dollar, and smaller providers were able to survive and, in some cases, thrive. The downside, of course, will be what Google's going to charge for that line to your house, I'm sure... but it's still a test program, so I can dream. Heck, while I'm dreaming, come over this way to run your test... I won't mind, honest... :)

3 comments:

CenturyLink Help Team said...

Hello, this is Steph at Qwest,

I would be happy to review any services you have currently with Qwest or wanted with Qwest and see if there is pricing or products that better fit your needs. Please feel free to email me at talktous@qwest.com with your billing phone number, billing address and any additional information you are seeking.

thank you

Steph Lake
Manager - Talk To Qwest Team

talktous@qwest.com - attention Steph
www.twitter.com/TalkToQwest

"At Qwest your account information is confidential and protected by law, so I need your permission to access the account.”

delRhode said...

Heh... nice to see that Comcast isn't the only group with roving hate-and-discontent quellers on the 'net. Unfortunately, I'm all too familiar with Qwest's current offerings in my area (which currently maxes out at 1.5Mbps), which are not suitable for my current needs (especially streaming 720p video from Netflix, etc.). I'll gladly check your service out when it ramps up a bit, but today isn't that day.

Matt said...

It will be interesting to see what type of competition/concessions a municipality might have to give to be home to the test. If I were making the decision, I would be looking at Tillamook, OR or Florence, OR where 15Gbt trunk cables run into the US.

But I'll join in the dream. If only to have another option besides Qwest.