Sunday, May 2, 2010

Bloomsday

For any of you without a Spokane connection, today was Bloomsday. Naturally, I didn't participate (not much of one for exercise, especially with 50,000+ of my closest strangers), preferring instead to sleep in... but I thought that it might be a fine time to snag brunch and hit Costco before the hordes hit.

Naturally, things didn't work out quite that way. I drove out to the Old European on Sprague, only to find it closed and converted to some sort of Japanese establishment (still one on Division, thankfully... much prefer eating aebelskivers to making them myself)... so I settled for the evil of IHOP (not terrible if your expectations are low... but man, those were some greasy sausages). I then hit Costco, to find things even more crowded than usual for a weekend, with all the Bloomies clustering around the sample stands, clogging flow through the aisles better than the greasy breakfast I had just eaten ever dreamed of doing to my arteries. Foolishly, I pressed on... it wasn't quite Christmas-at-Walmart levels of people packing, but it wasn't pretty, either... it's never a good sign when I breathe a sigh of relief on managing to exit a store.

So, lessons learned... be damn sure, if you're going to try to take advantage of an event to get something done, that you get what needs done done while the event is still in play. I might have spent more shopping Costco while I was still peckish, but my sanity would be in better shape, I believe.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Beth and I were so close to going to Costco yesterday. Then we decided to be lazy instead. Lazy wins!