Thursday, December 16, 2010

One reason I love the Internet... Competition

As you might have read from my last post, I'm less than impressed with Hulu Plus on my Roku, between $8/month to access, commercials in videos, and a selection of limited interest to me. Yesterday, a new channel came out for the Roku, from a site called Crunchyroll... with it, you can watch most of their vast anime library for free, commercial-free... including two of the three anime series I intended to slog through on Hulu's system. As an added bonus, Crunchyroll even has more episodes for those two series than Hulu Plus does... so, I'll be burning through that third series on Hulu Plus before ditching it.

Of course, I did say most of Crunchyroll's anime library was available for free... they do have a paid plan, if I want the absolute latest episodes for some animes, or one of a few series reserved for paying members. Even so, that would be about $7/month, and still without commercials. Yes, "numbered" is a good description of Hulu's days on my box.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Yeah, I think we'll also be ditching Hulu Plus unless they smarten up soonest. I'm so tired of finding a show I want to watch, only to find out that I can only play it in a web browser, not through my "streaming device."

delRhode said...

Yep. I'm actually already leaning towards "let's see how much of this I can get before my current month ends, and pick up the last on DVD from Netflix"... I just don't see Hulu "smartening up". Either their base broadcast audience will swallow it whole, or Hulu's failure will be pointed to as how network streamed video "just isn't feasible". Sad, but there you go.