Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Another no-buy: HP

I've been around for a while, so I remember when Hewlett-Packard (as it was then known) was a good company, producing quality products.  I got a LaserJet III used, abused it for a number of years, then passed it on as newer printers with better performance got ever-cheaper.  To my mind, that really stopped about the time HP merged with Compaq, and, given superior options pretty much everywhere, I haven't bought any of their gear in quite some time... but the possibility was still there, should things turn around, or a rare outlier on the quality curve happened to cross my rader.

Now, not so much.  HP Inc., as they are now known, first went and slipped a firmware update for their inkjet servers into the wild, which made them stop accepting refilled and third-party ink cartridges after a certain date... then, when they were called on it, they decided the "right" fix was to prepare an "optional" firmware update for people who know/care to fix what they broke.  At the same time, apparently, they're reserving the right to similarly break their printers in the future.

I'm with the EFF in thinking this is basically a bait-and-switch on their customers... and I won't, personally or professionally, support any company that stoops to that level.

No comments: