Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Spoilerriffic! Seafall, game 2

OK, for starters, I really don't know where the folks at Plaid Hat Games come up with a 90-120 minute game time for this game.  Our group is taking about one 3-hour game session per "year" in the game, which, at 2 years per game so far, comes in closer to 5-6 hours per game.  Maybe things will speed up with time, but I don't see it going anywhere near as fast as stated.  Of course, that means that we're likely to get a full year of play sessions out of this game before we're done, so that's not a terrible thing.

But enough of that, you want to know about how the game went this time, right?  Well, the first thing was the effects of the new rank cards from the unlock box, which gives a boost to the underdogs (in the form of gold, luck, or influence) and a drag to the leaders (in the form of pre-distributed enmity tokens).  That helped me get off to a quick start, at least.  Second, most of the "easy" explore sites were taken, which seemed to prime the game for a more raid-centric play style.  That was mostly true, but it turns out exploring for islands is a fair bit easier than I expected, so we did manage to pick up our fifth island this go around... and likely, I'll be in hot pursuit of island #6 next game.

No unlocks to worry about this time, for all we did pull a couple more milestones (including one for sinking an opponent's ship, which we had to mark the site of for future reference)... the one thing that did bite a couple of us (myself included) was a misunderstanding about handling enmity end-game.  I was of the understanding that all you had to worry about in that regard was enmity with the islands, when it actually encompasses your enmity kept by the other players as well.  So, I've a fair bit of work to do to get some of that down... but nowhere near as much as the guy who won the last two games, so I'm actually feeling pretty good about my position, overall.

No comments: