Friday, May 12, 2017

Spoilerriffic! Seafall, game 4

We almost got this game finished in one session, and I almost won, but I tied for the lead with the overall laggard of the group, so no dice.  Still, there was a fair amount of "being in the right place at the right time" involved in reaching that goal, so I can't claim any deep mastery of the game at this point.

With three largely-unexplored islands on the map, it was a fairly safe bet that exploration was likely to be a large part of the score-getting this time around... but it also became clear that people had clued in to the value of the milestones, as people started grabbing all the spice they could get hold of (spice being the most abundant good on the board at the moment) with an eye towards the "sell 4 goods in one turn" milestone and its attendant unlock.  My strategy of specializing my ships and sending them out separately worked nicely here, letting me raid a couple of incoming vessels with my "coastal raider" for their goods and selling them to make a quick buck, while the "explorer" vessel went off to do its thing in the farther islands.  The money I made from those raids, I put into acquiring treasures, in pursuit of that cheap milestone of having three glory worth of treasures in your treasure room.

Unfortunately, I was thwarted in that endeavor by two players.  One of the people I raided previously used the Master Spy (and a little misreading of the text thereon) to empty my coffers after one of my raids was cashed in.  The other used an advisor combo, and the massive treasury he got from being so far behind in the overall game, to get two treasures (one of them the more-expensive, worth 2 glory sort) in the same turn, claiming the milestone, and getting an adder for the first treasure in his treasure room in all games going forward.

However, if the game snatches opportunity from you, it also opens up other opportunities as well.  I used my "being behind" bonuses to stock up on Fortune this game, with an eye toward reducing my permanent enmity in-game, especially with one specific island that holds 3 stickers of mine.  Another player found another tomb site, and my explorer was in position to take advantage.  Finding the Fortune-oriented option on the tomb map, I was able to easily complete the challenge, resulting in a load of glory and a tablet for my treasure room (it may only be once a game, but being able to "teleport" a ship home will be handy).

And so, neck and neck, we two leaders raced for the goal - but somebody else also managed to pull down that unlock milestone on the last round.  This unlocked "colonies" as a thing to pursue, which require 6 goods (including one of each type) to build, but persist for you from game to game (for all they have to be "activated" on a winter round to get all their goodness).  Both your ships start with a hold size of 2, so there's improvements, upgrades, and/or other silliness that will have to be handled to make that happen... but, there's no rules for conquering each others' colonies (yet), so, if you succeed, it's a decent investment.  Oh, and of course, it's also necessary for some of the new milestones (for example, one of them involves having built 5 structures, but your home province can only support 3).  It's not, however, strictly necessary for the next unlock... that just requires you to find a particular island using the Strange Chart.  Should be fun!

No comments: