Friday, September 25, 2020

Another game by the wayside

 It was still early June when I started in on Divinity: Original Sin.  I finally gave up on it a day or two ago, mainly to make room for trying out the latest iteration of No Man's Sky (among other things, there's giant jumping planetary worms now).  However, I hadn't even left the first area of the game in all that time.  I got a couple of decent play sessions in, but I always struggled to get myself to get back in for the next session, so it's high time that struggle stopped.

Honestly, I'm hard-pressed to say why the game didn't click for me.  I liked the turn-based combat well enough, excepting for the extreme variation involved when doing something like tossing grenades around.  Could be the bit I mentioned when starting about the game being geared towards a couch co-op experience.  Another likely component would be the whole starting setup, where you're supposed to be concerning yourself with the murder of a politician while undead hordes press the city from the land and orc raiders press from the sea... it just has a bit of "aren't there more pressing things I should be handling right now" attached to it.

That said, since I'm leaving this game behind, I did go ahead and scrounge up a video of the main story beats.  It's a bit more twisty than the initial setup would leave you to believe, which is a good thing, but I'm just as glad to have gotten the summary instead of slogging through the game myself.  I'm not saying you wouldn't enjoy giving the game a go yourself, for the right price at least... but I've gotten what I can from it, and I'm ready to move on.

No comments: