Sunday, December 31, 2023

One more post, before the year is out

 The traditional acknowledgement of the shit state of parts of the world follows.  The Hamas/Israel thing is still going on (a pox on both their houses), and Russia's invasion of Ukraine continues (a pox on Russia, and Putin and his circle in particular).

Right, that out of the way, 2023 is coming to a close, and life is greatly unchanged for me, outside of a couple of bits in the gaming sphere.  As expected, an XBox gift card came my way from my brother, which I put towards finally picking up Baldur's Gate 3.  It's an unexpectedly large game, which forced me to make a decision.  Either Starfield or Destiny 2 needed to go, to make room on the limited drive space of the Series S.  I wrestled with that choice a bit, but, in the end, Destiny 2, in its current state, isn't really geared towards how I'm playing these days, so off it went.  Looks like it's been a bit over a year since I got back into Destiny 2, so it had a good run... and I'm definitely more interested in seeing what Bethesda does in coming weeks to shore up their latest game.

What about Baldur's Gate 3, you ask?  Well, I've hardly played enough yet to give a proper review, but I definitely like what I've seen so far.  Companions with issues, proper turn-based combat, wide ranges of choices to make, no matter how poor (let's just say I've ended up kissing a mind flayer, however unintentionally)... it's a wild ride, and it's hooked me deep enough for unintentional past-my-bedtime play sessions.  How much of that is, for lack of a better term, "nostalgic novelty", and how much is a really good game, I need more playtime to work out... but I'd lean in the good game direction, myself.

Well, that all said, goodbye 2023.  Let's see what the new year has to offer.

No comments: