Well, I finally all-but-exhausted that Regal Cinemas gift card by catching a matinee showing of The Odyssey. It's a well-managed edit of the original thousands-of-years-old story, and I enjoyed it overall, especially the core concept of the Law of Zeus - I assumed I had read the base material before at some point, but it must have been select readings for a class at best, to let that sort of story thread slip by me. At any rate, I enjoyed myself, and I think it's worth your time, should you want to experience the whole audio-visual spectacle on the big screen.
That said, it's not a movie without its issues... and lest anybody get the wrong idea, no, I'm not bothered by the multi-racial cast like the world's richest Nazi and his ilk are. The easiest one is that Matt Damon delivers some lines a bit flat, but that might be just a personal taste issue.
No, the biggest issue likely ties back to the source material. See, Odysseus is painted as the strongest man in Ithaca, and the smartest warrior among the Greek forces. I get it, he's supposed to be like the ancient Greek Superman, and you can't have a war story without warriors. Given the time period, strong warriors are better warriors, sure. But the thing that sets him apart, particularly starting with the Trojan Horse (side note, well done on making that sequence work without making the Trojans look like complete idiots) and continuing on through his travels, is him using his cleverness to make the best of bad situations. Then, he finally makes it back home (I know, spoilers) and, without explicit coordination with his family, sets up first a test of strength, then a wholesale slaughter of the suitors for his wife's hand. I get it to an extent, Homer's setting up the contrast between the "true warrior" Odysseus and the only-clever suitors. But it also paints being clever as a sin in and of itself, as even Odysseus comes to believe his clever trick with the Trojans becomes the trigger for the downfall of civilization in years to come. It's a common-enough view in early warrior cultures, sure, but as a more-clever-than-brawny sort myself, I don't much care for it, especially in times like these.
No comments:
Post a Comment