Monday, March 26, 2007

Humility

For all that I'm a fairly easy-going guy, at heart I'm really an arrogant bastard. I'm smarter than average, and I tend to plan ahead better than most I've met, which translates into thinking I'm better than others, especially in my chosen field. Luckily, every so often I manage to do something bone-headed enough to ground myself in reality again... like this past weekend, for example.

I won't bore you all with the gory details... but suffice it to say that the server upgrades I intended to take most of Saturday afternoon ended up taking all that night, including deleting an archive of important files right after losing the originals and doing a from-scratch install on one machine... which got me to the point that I only had to deal with unhappy coworkers today instead of unhappy customers. Oh, and I get to look forward to more of the same tomorrow, at least.

You know what I need... one of those guys the Caesars of old had, to constantly whisper in my ear "remember, thou art mortal"... any takers?

No comments: