Thursday, April 19, 2007

Another bit of my respect for humanity bites the dust

I suppose it was only a matter of time... but that doesn't make running across this abomination any better. I'm no great fan of marketing schemes, but this should really be illegal. What, might you ask, annoys me so?

I was driving down a busy arterial, when I come across something that looks like a delivery truck... except it's painted lime-green, and the sides and back of what would be the cargo area have been replaced with huge windows wherein billboard-style ads are displayed. Better still, the ads are actually on automated scrolling machines, that every 10 seconds or so scroll to another ad. It's a moving, changing billboard, out in the middle of traffic (and going about 5mph under speed limit, to make sure that as many people as possible pass it and see it). That's not the least bit hazardous or distracting, is it?

Think I'm kidding? Here's their website... and here's hoping this idea dies its well-deserved death in Spokane, before polluting anywhere else.

1 comment:

delRhode said...

Much as maybe I should, it's in the "we've spent money on it" stage now... a point where, short of disaster, people really don't want to hear that there's any downside to their plans, never mind something so nebulous and minor as "public safety". All I can hope for at this point is a not-too-deadly but very public demonstration of the idiocy of this... so that either they will voluntarily pull it, or local lawmakers will deal with it.