Thursday, July 19, 2007

Puppy Godfather

I often wonder at the odd turns life takes. Today, I went to work expecting nothing out of the ordinary... by afternoon, I was tentatively chosen to be a puppy's godfather.

Obviously, explanation is in order. The company president (who runs a hobby cattle ranch on the side) has dogs... Shih Tzus, of all things. His wife's been breeding their pair for a number of years, and they're hard to beat in terms of both physical cuteness and personality. They decided that this litter would be the last... but past litters have served them well, as they sold puppies or, in some cases, used them as rewards or incentives on business deals (always making sure they went to decent homes in the process, of course).

Somehow, it got into somebody's head that I needed one of these puppies. Don't get me wrong, they're cute as hell, and a pleasure to be around, but, well... as you can tell from my profile image, cats are more my speed. Especially at puppy age, dogs need attention, playtime, and socialization to mature properly, none of which I feel I could adequately provide, given the hours I spend in front of a computer. On the other hand, there's a gal in the office whose little dog died about a year back, who's fallen in love with the critters... but the current owners believe that she couldn't afford to raise one of their puppies properly.

So, here comes the strange idea (and I'm rarely put off by an idea's strangeness alone) - I'm to act as the puppy's godfather, which basically means that I'll front the bill for getting shots/neutered/etc. (and likely get reimbursed on the sly by the boss), and I'll be the "fallback" if the gal's life circumstances dictate that she can't keep the puppy for whatever reason. In return, the puppy becomes the Office Puppy, getting attention lavished on it by everyone there during the day, including spoiling/corruption by yours truly, especially at lunchtime.

It's not final... the gal in question is doing some family reunion thing until Monday, but odds are that I'll be a Puppy Godfather early next week. If so, I'll be sure to post a pic or two, on general principles... :)

No comments: