Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Two mini-rants

First off, I stumble across the occasional "economic forecast" article on the Web... usually somebody with a plan to sell or axe to grind going on about how OMG IT'S ALL COMING DOWN AROUND OUR EARS. Lately, I've been seeing a lot of "It's going to be the Great Depression all over again due to Hyperinflation" talk... please, make up your mind. As I recall, skyrocketing prices was about the last thing happening during the Great Depression, because nobody was earning, so nobody was buying. Gotta have that demand to fuel inflation, don't you know. If you want to talk scary, talk about places where hyperinflation has really taken hold in the past, like, oh, Germany early last century, if my memory serves.

On a more petulant note, in the "we're not making nearly enough green" department, Comcast decided, over the course of the day, to update the firmware in my cable box. The channel guide has now replaced one of the five channels it showed at a time to an ad link. I think I've had about enough of their cable TV "service", and, if Qwest ever gets around to rolling out their fiber optics to my neighborhood, I'd likely give their Internet service the laugh as well. I was annoyed enough that I drove straight over to a neighborhood Radio Shack looking for a transformer for the crusty old aerial on my roof, only to find them closed... tomorrow, I will find one and experiment... Comcast's days as my TV source may well be numbered.

No comments: