Thursday, October 9, 2008

Death, with or without dignity

I just turned on public radio, expecting pleasant music after a long day, only to be confronted with a debate (?) about the upcoming initiative on assisted suicide. There is some pastor on there pushing his agenda in a very non-pastor-like manner, using mischaracterizations suitable for a polititian up for election. On the plus side, it gave me something to write about.

I'm hale and hearty, as far as I can tell... and I can foresee circumstances that I would not want to live through. Heck, in the past I've had headaches that I would have gladly gouged out my right eye with a spoon, if I thought it would help... but, being transitory, I endured and survived. If the day comes where I get even more pain, and the drugs don't work or leave me incapacitated, and death is certain and near, I would really like a relatively painless and stress-free method of ending the game. Lacking that, I would find a way... probably unpleasant and messy, but I would find a way.

So, all you Washington voters, be sure to check out Initiative 1000... unless I find something truly obnoxious in there, it'll be getting a yes vote from me.

No comments: