Thursday, February 12, 2009

Attachment to things

No, I'm not talking about the pretty toys in my life this time... this is more about the mundane objects, the ones that you use without a second thought, and never stop to consider what you would do without.

You see, I broke my comb today. Like many men, my sole concession to orderliness of hair is a small comb tucked in a pocket. In my case, I know I bought my comb back in 1988, through a store on the military base I was stationed on at the time. I know this because I actually had to stop and think... where on earth do you go to buy a comb?

Of course, that brings up the comb's longevity. I don't know if 20+ years of use is average or exceptional for such an item... but either way, I've been carrying that thing around with me for over half of my life. It accompanied me to several foreign ports of call, got used as a makeshift tool on a nuclear reactor, did its duty throughout college, and through all of my working civilian life until today. It's strange, but I almost felt sad that it had finally succumbed to use and time.

So, now I have a new comb (at a minimum, they sell at drugstores, hidden amongst the "girly" hair-care products). What future fun will it get to accompany me for?

No comments: