Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Windows 7 Starter netbook

Back on Windows 7 launch day, I snagged myself a shiny new netbook, so I could play with the new Windows (especially so I could check for installation/operation problems with software out at work). On the whole, I'm well-pleased with both the netbook and Windows 7... but, as is often the case, there's some niggling little annoyances.

I understand the theory of tiered pricing, not that I entirely agree with it, but, in the case of netbooks, there's good sense in keeping the cost of Windows low, what with all those Linux distributions looking to get a foothold. Microsoft did a pretty good job of paring things down, too... no DVD playback (which, without optical drives, is not an issue), and no shiny new display tricks (which, with the limited graphics hardware, is no great loss) as examples. But then, they also cut support for streaming media (on a network-oriented device...) and even spent the resources to restrict users from personalizing their desktop colors and wallpaper. That last bit is just downright petty on Microsoft's part... and Asus (the maker of my netbook) apparently agrees, since they put out a tool to let you change your wallpaper.

What I can report, after a few weeks' use, is that Windows 7 seems to work well on the limited hardware a netbook provides... so long as you don't try anything too graphics-intensive, like games. That may even change, as newer graphics hardware takes over the market... but, for simple tasks like web surfing, email, and typing up documents, a Windows 7 netbook is a viable option. Just make sure to get some hands-on time with one before you buy... the limitations of keyboard spacing and screen size may be too much for some to endure.

No comments: