Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sony - PSN Hacked

Well, this is something I didn't expect to see, and it's rather unfortunate to see... but I can't help but feel a bit of the old schadenfreude just now. PSN (the PlayStation Network) is Sony's proprietary on-line gaming and digital content download system for the PS3... it's been down for the better part of a week, and now it appears that's because Sony shut it down in response to their systems getting hacked. It appears that personal info, including names, addresses, birthdates, usernames and passwords got accessed... and they're not ruling out credit card info being gotten either.

The odd bit in that list above is passwords... basic security practice is to never store passwords in plain-text, but, if they're saying passwords are "in the wild" now, that's exactly what they must have done. If I were still a Sony customer, or had given them my credit card info, or had any other important services that used the same username and password, I would be thoroughly torqued... but I could never justify handing over my credit card info when I could buy cards for the PSN elsewhere, so I certainly wasn't going to reuse a payment-related password there. It will be interesting to see what comes of this as time goes on, and it's unfortunate for all the active PS3 users out there... but it sure sounds like Sony had it coming, never mind their past transgressions.

No comments: