Saturday, July 28, 2012

2012 Olympics - Open

It's that time again... athletes from around the world, competing to show that they/their team/their country are "the best".  Good luck to all involved!

Of course, after China's spectacular to open their games last year, I had to see how the UK would handle their opening ceremonies, especially considering how disappointing their portion of the closing ceremony of the last games was.  Thankfully, they didn't embarrass themselves... it was genuinely entertaining, and my only quibbles come down to matters of personal taste (excess use of pre-filmed clips and popular music from decades back, mainly).  Still, for me, the highlight had to be Rowan Atkinson's part in the ceremony this time around... so, yeah, "spectacular" isn't the word I would use to describe it.

2 comments:

Matt said...

I have an odd issue with the opening ceremony. It wasn't designed for the people in the stadium. It was designed for the 1B people watching on TV. Now, there is something to be said for creating a show that is for the 1B watching vs. the 80K in attendance. But I think if I had dropped $1K to go to the ceremony, I'd have been bummed that I had to watch most of it on a jumbotron to understand what was going on.

delRhode said...

Yeah, that's part of why I didn't care too much for the pre-filmed parts. Still, for whatever they paid for admission, at least they didn't get commercial interruption every not-more-than-15-minutes (I hope!).