Thursday, March 12, 2009

New iPod Shuffle... another Apple swing-and-a-miss

I know I'm one of the last few people on the planet for whom this is true, but... I don't have a portable MP3 player of any sort yet. The fact is, I don't have much in the way of a music library, and am generally content with what I can pull off the radio. Of course, that's not always an option, so I've been keeping an eye on players, capacities, interfaces and the like... and the old iPod Shuffle was almost right for me, just lacking a bit in the storage space arena.

So, now Apple has released a new Shuffle, with 4GB of storage space... but, they went and did something stupid, moving the controls off the device proper onto the cord of the ear buds. Oh, and of course, they'll offer a "control dongle" if you want to use some other headphones with their new toy.

Here's my problem... one of the main uses I would get out of my Shuffle would be... in my car. I have an auxiliary jack on my stereo, specifically for plugging audio bits in. So, there I would have to have this control dongle and a patch cable to plug in the player (and have to figure out how to seat both the player and controls reasonably safely in the passenger compartment)... and then, if I want to use the player anywhere else, I have to either remember to bring the control dongle along with, or use only the ear buds included with the player... and since I can see myself using this player in more than one "non-car" location regularly, I would pretty much have to carry headphones with me wherever I went with the player, rather than caching headphones at work, at home, etc.

Oh well, again, I guess I'll wait for Apple's next revision... unless some other mini-MP3 player catches my eye first, of course.

2 comments:

Matt said...

While I do like my shuffle, I would never want to use it in the car. Of course, Beth has an iPod mini that serves that purpose. Still, she controls the iPod from the passenger seat.

Anonymous said...

I-shuffle is an awesome little machine. Down side : the controls are only on the headphones. They break, you’re done. Time for new APPLE headphones.I still prefer the old shuffle with the controls on the unit.