Monday, March 1, 2010

Minor annoyances

Nothing here's big enough to warrant a post on its own... but, since they all hit within about 24 hours of each other, might as well round 'em up and get them off my chest.

  • My PS3 was one of those taken out of commission by the glitch referred to on at least one site, in standard Internet overreaction, as the ApocalyPS3. It's working now... just from what I could see, I'm pretty sure it was some conflict between the on-board timer and the firmware (outage was over 01MAR10 by GMT, possibly due to the timer thinking 2010 was a leap year, somehow). The fact that only older models were affected implies that a hardware change in newer models eliminated the problem... which raises the question of why the hardware change was made. It could be Sony just replaced an obsolete part with a functionally-equivalent, properly-working part... or it could be that this was a known problem, at some level in Sony's hierarchy, but they decided to try and pass it off as as much of a surprise to them as to everybody else. Either way, somebody's got some 'splaining to do... it'll be fun to see how that comes out.
  • Got a mailer from Comcast today, touting their Xfinity upgrade thingy... in particular, faster Internet speeds and "basic" cable for $5 more a month (intro rate, of course). From what I read, it appears that Comcast is going to artificially limit the speed of their existing users' connections to something approximating their current speed, so they can charge more from users for a higher-speed connection. Some days, this might be sufficient to send me off on a Comcast rant, but not today... it just means that, if I see my service quality suffer (primarily as measured by my ability to watch 720p streaming video from Netflix, since nothing else I do these days really taxes my connection in a way I would notice), they have that much less room to beg off on the grounds of concurrent users bogging down the system, since they're extracting extra cash to support that user base, which would likely trigger a serious round of "who else can I get decent Internet connectivity through at a decent price?"
  • This one actually hurts a bit... I don't dine out that often (for all I'm a tech geek, I'm fairly frugal), but I do have my favorites when I'm in the mood for food X. I thought I'd stop off on the way home from work tonight to pick up some Happy Family from my favorite local Chinese restaurant, Tasty House... only to drive up to an empty storefront. I don't even know if anybody else does Happy Family in Spokane... here's hoping there is, and they do a decent job of it, and it's not way on another side of town from anywhere I go normally.

No comments: