Tuesday, November 30, 2010

And so it begins... Comcast tries its hand at gatekeeping

Comcast and Level 3 Communications are getting into a pissing match over Internet traffic, and who pays how much to let Netflix-streamed content get to your eyeballs. I've seen a few brief news items about the mess, but this link to an Ars Technica article is the best, most thorough walkthrough of what the issues are, based on publicly-available information, that I've seen. Even so, it's not as clear-cut as I might care for... but it sure has the whiff of Comcast trying to charge Netflix for the data I've already paid Comcast and Netflix for. As usual, here's hoping somebody works out a decent alternative to Comcast for Internet access in my neck of the woods, soonest. Heck, I might even have to look into what I can get through commercial channels, once the car's paid off.

No comments: