Friday, June 24, 2011

Congresscritter sleaziness, as expected

In my last post, I laid out where I stand on this whole bombing-Libya-isn't-hostility line that the current administration is passing off. I can understand that some opinions might differ on that issue, wrong as I think they are. However, it should be a pretty straightforward decision, one way or the other... either the President is doing the right thing, and should have every means at his disposal to do it, or he's doing the wrong thing and should be reined in. The House of Representatives was given the opportunity to say where they stood with a pair of bills: pass one, what the President's doing is A-OK; pass the other, and he's in the wrong. Somehow, they managed to pass neither bill (link).

In order for neither bill to pass, there had to be a significant number of representatives that voted against both bills. On the face of the argument, I don't see how anybody, much less a significant number of anybodies, could say they have no opinion on this issue with a straight face, given the facts. Whether they chose this path on party-solidarity grounds, or with an eye towards re-election, these representatives have simply failed in their duty to their country on this issue.

Oh well, like I said in my last post, I wasn't really holding my breath that Congress would do the right thing as a whole, although I didn't expect something as blatant as this... rather, finding some way to distract attention and let the question die away from the spotlight seems to be the norm. I guess it's up to the Judiciary to do something... maybe... sometime...

No comments: