Sunday, December 15, 2019

One last look back at BoxThrone

A few months back, I posted about my experiences with ordering from BoxThrone, and, while I've now gotten and am well pleased with the product I ordered, albeit late, there is one bit from that post that warrants looking in on.  I noted at the time that their then-current Wave 5 was being offered with a delivery promise of 15DEC19 at the latest.  Well, that's today... what's the word from the BoxThrone website?

Well, it's certainly not good news for anybody who was banking on a delivery in time for Christmas.  Their pre-order FAQ (today's copy saved courtesy of the Wayback Machine) says their delivery window is now today through the 31st... but it also says the current status of their orders is "On Ocean", which I'm taking to mean that they're all on a container ship somewhere right now, after which they'll have to be unloaded, sent to their distributors, sorted, and finally shipped out to their end users, which doesn't sound feasible in the roughly two weeks until the end of their current delivery window... so, sorry, Wave 5, looks like Christmas is canceled for you.

Of course, in the meantime, they've also accepted orders for a Wave 6 group... I seem to recall getting an email or the "order now for delivery by Valentine's Day", and the current delivery date there says March 7th at the latest, so that'd be another miss.  Oh, and they're accepting pre-orders for a Wave 7 group with a May-at-the-latest delivery date (I'm not following up on this one, I've already seen the pattern here).  Oh, and of course, there's some poor folks in Wave 4, where the status currently says "Mostly complete".

Yeah, long story short, if you're giving the BoxThrone people money right now and expecting on-time delivery, the evidence doesn't support that in the slightest.  I'm even more firmly in the "get back to me when you have stock on hand to sell" camp now.

No comments: