Saturday, December 7, 2019

Stadia - more nits to pick

Just to be clear, I'm still generally liking what Stadia brings to the gaming table.  However, now that I've had the setup for a couple of weeks, I've seen a few more things that might influence whether somebody wanted to give this thing a go.

First, I experienced my first issue with the actual streaming of controls and games.  It was only for about 20-30 seconds, but resulted in a sudden loss of screen resolution and some severe control sluggishness.  Think like an approaching-full-second response time increase and converting button presses to button holds, that sort of thing.  I can only guess it was some momentary networking issue.  Since it's only happened to me once in two weeks' play time, I can brush it off as a minor nuisance... but serious competitive players and people inclined to throwing controllers in fits of rage might feel quite differently about such a thing even being a possibility.

Second, since Destiny 2 whines about not having a microphone every time you start the game, I snagged a 3.5mm headset to plug into my Stadia controller (thanks, Woot!).  Now, the Stadia controller/ChromeCast combo is obviously the preferred method of play (given that it's the only way, currently, to get a 4K stream), so I expected no problems.  However, I experienced pops/crackle on the audio I got through the headset... which, if it were just voicechat audio, that might be one thing, but, at least in Destiny 2, all audio is routed to the headset if it's plugged in, with no option to split it out that I could see.  Naturally, I verified the headset itself isn't a problem by plugging it into my Nintendo Switch Lite, where there were no such issues.  So, either there's a hardware issue with the Stadia controller's audio jack, or there's an audio processing disparity between the ChromeCast and the Stadia controller, or there's something about audio over WiFi that the Stadia controller isn't properly adapting to.  Hopefully, this is something the folks at Google can patch the controller firmware to fix... these days, there are many games where voice chat is nigh on mandatory, and nobody wants to experience their game as if the audio is being transmitted over AM radio.

Finally, there's a potential Stadia store issue.  When I fired up Destiny 2 this morning, there was a notification about needing to buy a "Digital Deluxe Edition" before the 10th, if you wanted the coming seasons' contents at 25% off regular price.  Of course, if you go to the Stadia app right now, and look through the "All Games" list, there is no such edition listed.  So... is this notification intended for all the other Destiny 2 platforms?  Or, is Google footing the bill for the next season for Stadia users?  Or, is there a new version that should have been on the storefront by now that isn't?  I guess we'll see, come the 10th... but any answer that involves "you should have been able to get the thing at a discount, but now you can get it at full price" is going to rankle a lot of already-wary Stadia users.

Well, it'll be interesting to see how things evolve here over the next couple of months.  The Destiny 2 pricing question is probably my biggest thing at the moment, since that ties to the value of the eventual $10/month Stadia Pro payout, but I think these are all things that will need to be addressed if they want to be at all competitive once they open their service to the general public for "free".

No comments: