Monday, September 10, 2007

Digital Distribution

I'm ever so looking forward to the day when you can get anything software-y purchased directly over the Internet and downloaded, if necessary, to the medium of your choice. Today's case in point: there's a game I'm looking to get, that was, in theory, released today. It's the third game in the sequel to a moderately-successful, four-part niche game (the whole series, which includes games, animation, and who knows what else, is referred to as ".hack"). Even though it's a PlayStation2 game, I would like little better than to download it, burn it to a DVD, and start playing right now, but that's not the way the world works... I checked websites for Best Buy and Circuit City, and both act as if none of the games ever existed... I check Amazon, and they grudgingly admit it should exist, and promise to have stock on Friday (and it qualifies for free shipping... waaahoooo... :/).

As a reward for enduring the dentist tomorrow morning, I'm going to hit Best Buy and have a look around... that's where I found the last two episodes of this game in its brief stint on the shelves locally... but I'm just not real hopeful. Here we are in an age where more and more is tracked more and more thoroughly, and I can't even begin to guess if or when I'll be able to find a stinkin' videogame.

No comments: