Saturday, September 29, 2007

Jolly

What is it about the word "jolly" that makes it so ripe for twisting to darker purposes? I only thought of this because I had two cartoon bits cross my consciousness in quick succession: the bit from Ren & Stimpy's "Space Madness" that goes "...the beautiful shiny button, the jolly candylike button...", and of course Invader Zim's "Most Horrible X-mas Ever" with the "Jolly Boots of Doom". Is it because we use the word so rarely outside of the Christmas season? Is it because of the way Burl Ives sings it in "Have A Holly Jolly Christmas"? While I'm at it, has anybody seen any other terribly wrong uses for this word? After the two previously mentioned, I'd have high hopes that any further jolly perversions would be good, clean, wholesome fun... :)

2 comments:

Matt said...

There is always the Jolly Roger.

delRhode said...

Good one!