Thursday, April 10, 2008

No new toys?

It's a bit slow at work today, so I decided to spend some time investigating what I could spend my upcoming tax "rebate" on... sure, I could be more responsible than FedGov is acting, but I don't carry debt on my credit cards if I can help it, and $600 isn't a huge amount in the savings scheme of things either, so I might as well put it to its "intended" use... if I can find something to spend it on.

For starters, the Wii is right out. I haven't seen one in a store for many months, I have no reason to expect that will change, and I simply refuse to pay some eBayer for the privilege of owning one. XBox360 and new computer bits are out too... I have a decent "gaming" computer already, and most software that I would care about on the 360 makes its way to the PC in due course. That would leave the PlayStation3 as the likely target of acquisition.

However... since I already have a PS2, I would want a PS3 with some backwards compatibility for the games I already have, since I can't really justify having both plugged into my living room TV at the same time. Strangely enough... the only model currently available at retail seems to be the 40GB, no-backwards-compatibility model. I see rumors on the 'net of an upcoming 120GB model with backwards compatibility and a vibrating controller... but they seem to indicate a more June/August timeframe, well after I have the mad money in hand.

I never thought I would see the day... I'm going to have money to spend on nothing but new gaming gear, and likely time to play with such gear... but there's nothing I want to be had.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Have you looked at the PSP or Nintendo DS?

And as for the Wii, I would recommend going to Target and asking when they get them delivered. We found out our target gets 1 or 2 Most Monday mornings and they are sold before the day is over (this was back in January).

delRhode said...

Got a PSP... and I don't use it near enough to justify getting a DS, until/unless my nephew grows up a bit and wants to play head-to-head games or some such.

On the Wii hunt, well... I'm willing to wait for the serendipitous find, rather than try to beat out the desparate for a new shiny. One viable reason I've heard for the lack of Wiis this post-holiday season was the launch of Wii in Europe, so it may well just be a matter of wait for the summer months, when "normal" people don't think about playing inside, and snag one then... :)