Monday, April 28, 2008

SCOTUS upholds Indiana photo-id-to-vote law

I saw in the news today that the title had occurred, and was getting ready to rant and rave about poll taxes and the like... luckily, I did a quick Google and found that Indiana thought ahead and declared that they would give out free photo ID to anybody unable to afford one themselves. With that in mind... good going, Indiana and SCOTUS!

...of course, that same search also brought up at least one blog still working the poll tax angle, on the theory that, in order to get that free ID, people will still have to pay for the supporting documentation (birth certificate, passport, etc.) to prove they are who they say they are. To that, all I can say is, please... I know my mother still has my birth certificate squirreled away in a safe deposit box, and, when it falls to me to keep it, it'll either get filed away or similarly protected. If it were to ever get lost or destroyed, I know I would get it replaced ASAP, possibly even before I had permanent housing again. Especially in this day and age, nothing is quite so valuable as being able to prove you are who you say you are... and I have no problem with getting people to pay for lost things they should have protected long ago.

No comments: