Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Forgotten Blogs

I stayed away from blogging for a long, long time... not because I didn't have anything to share (and some may still debate that... :)), but because I feared that I wouldn't have enough to share on a regular basis, so my readership would spiral down to, well, just me... and that sort of digital masturbation just isn't something that appeals to me. That's why, when I started up this blog, I made a rule for myself that I would update it at least once a week, hopefully with something entertaining/useful... or else I would shut it down and be done with it. Well, it was a slow week, leaving me hungry for something to put forth... when I came across a mention of an old-time blogger that I hadn't read anything about in a long, long time.

Just for fun, I went and looked up the last place I saw him (link here)... and it's still there... with the last post he put up... back in 2005. Now, there are reasons for such things happening (people dying or discovering their inner Amish, for instance), but this is an odd case. You see, much like myself, he has a "XFire" tracker on his site, which shows that he's still active online (nearly 40 hours of World of Warcraft in the past week, nearly 2300(!) hours tracked total). Also, the site's a dedicated domain, implying that he's paid money for a place to host his views... and hasn't put it to use for years. Unless he paid a bunch up front, he's even decided to shell out more cash to keep it around (not a lot, but still...).

Obviously, I'm confused... do people "grow out of" their desire to blog? Do "popular" bloggers (the ones that get comments routinely from people they don't know personally) succumb to the negative feedback they receive? What compels someone to keep something around for years, when they obviously have no time/interest for it now or in the near future?

2 comments:

Matt said...

It is the 116 posts along the lines of "just checking to see if you are blogging again" that throw me. Of course, you are talking to a guy who tried to do a blog and it lay postless for almost (over?) a year. And is now two more months gone without a post. Of course, I'm not paying Blogger anything either.

Annnd we're not on the first page of google when you type Spokane anymore. Fame is fleeting.

delRhode said...

Yeah, it's weird... he has/had an audience that was genuinely interested in what he has to say... and instead, he's treating World of Warcraft as a full-time job. Heck, at least I'm only treating Mabinogi as a part-time job... :)