Monday, January 5, 2009

Little Roku's pumping up

So, a couple of days ago, my Roku box updated its firmware... which I noticed because the "home screen" changed. Namely, the Netflix queue was no longer the main home, but just one channel of a (very limited) selection... checking out the new "what's new" channel, I found out two things:

  • The box now produces 720p output (yay!)
  • More channels are coming this year
Well, all fine and good... and today, I see the news that the first new channel is an Amazon video-on-demand service, with a larger library of titles, but a per-movie rental fee (link). Cool in theory, but I have reservations... unless Roku gets a bunch more channels to choose from, I see a real potential for conflict between Netflix and Amazon... and that brings into question what the licensing agreements for both sides (and any with Roku, for that matter) actually say. Will I see Netflix content being restricted while it's available through Amazon at a price? I certainly hope not... but time will tell, eh?

No comments: