Sunday, January 18, 2009

Scavenging at Circuit City

Like many people in Spokane (and, honestly, the world over), there are stores that I just don't go to (generally because there's a similar one that I like better), until one of two things happen... either the disfavored store has something that I just can't find elsewhere, or it's going out of business, and I'm looking to scavenge the remains. Circuit City has now fallen into both categories.

Of course, Spokane has two Cirucuit City stores, which brought up the question of which one to go visit... and, as a proper scavenger, my answer was "both". It's as well that I made that choice... it helped remind me that, for all that stores can be the same in many ways, there are always differences.

The first store is about a half-mile from where I work, and is part of a major shopping mall complex. I hit in the late afternoon, and it was, as expected, a madhouse. I dutifully made the rounds in that store and determined that, yes, there was not much left that held any interest for me... there were a couple of XBox 360 "elite" packages left around, but 10% off wasn't enough to "seal the deal" for me, because of the extras I would have to buy to get what I want out of it.

The second store is on the far side of town, tucked away in a shared driveway with a local Costco. It only took me about a half-hour to get there from the other one, but the difference was really night and day... for all that their miniscule parking lot was packed, the mass of humanity inside was much less. They still had a couple of PlayStation 3 consoles around, possibly because of their odd placement (not quite "with" the other videogame stuff)... but, again, 10% off wasn't enough to pull the trigger on a purchase (I can get a similar price through Amazon.com through the end of the month, at least).

So, no new videogame systems for me yet... as for anything else, well... they did have some PlayStation 2s at each store, but I've got one of those lying around already. There were some "upconverting" DVD players at both... which I couldn't justify buying, since my old DVD player does a pretty good job as is. There were, of course, the Blu-ray players... which are both too pricey, and something I might not need at all, if I end up getting a PS3. So, round one of the scavenge comes up empty... we'll have to see what's left by the time round two comes around.

No comments: