Friday, January 30, 2009

Nothing's ever easy...

Wow... you would think, in this day and age, that a month's lead-time would suffice for moving communications services from one site to another. Not so much, it turns out... at least, if Qwest is involved.

My company is consolidating office space, and closing out an office in the process. We notified our provider, Time Warner Telecom (TWTC), that we wanted to move services on 30DEC08. Great, they said, but the physical lines for that service are handled by Qwest, so it'll be about 30 days before we can do it. Finally, TWTC set a date of 02FEB09 for the move.

Admittedly, I don't know exactly what's involved on Qwest's end for this process. What I do know is that they came by on Tuesday this week to do some installation work, had problems, and said they would be back on Wednesday. They came back today (Friday), played around a bit, and told me at 3pm this afternoon that one of the two T-1 lines we ordered is still having problems, nothing they can do, sorry, etc., etc...

I finally had no choice but to pick up the dreaded phone and call the TWTC people, and let them know what Qwest hadn't yet... I'm being told that, with one line, we should get some of our phone lines, and Internet access with reduced speed, but something functional, at least. I certainly hope so... but I'm definitely not getting the "warm fuzzy" about this whole thing right now.

No comments: