Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Cell Phone Adventure: Glutton for Punishment

It was late last night when my new phone finished its initial charge... so I went ahead and activated it. Surprisingly, it was straightforward, simple... and left me with a new phone number.

Now, for the number of people that know my phone number, I could easily have left it at that, passed out my new number, and contacted AT&T directly to get the old phone dropped... but I pushed things, and decided that I wanted to keep the old number (and honestly, I do have at least one half-assed reason... it happens, by sheer luck of the draw, to be one digit off of my sister's cell phone number... :)). I should have known better when the means to do so is listed deep in the service agreement, and requires a phone call to Virgin.

After working my way down the automated menu to find the necessary section, and letting it know that it's a non-Virgin number I wanted to work with, I get sent to wait for a "customer associate", I believe the term was... and get put on hold with, frankly, crappy music, and constant reminders that "I'm on the other line, it'll be just a sec". I'm not sure if it's an improvement over "Your call is important to us", but if anything drives me from Virgin Mobile, it will be the peppy, "hey, we're youth oriented" tone everything there seems to take.

No gory details beyond that point... except that I'd forgotten, many years ago, that AT&T asked for my SSN as part of the signup process (credit check, I'm sure), so that was a bit of a surprise. Other than that, lots of reading info off of my AT&T bill, multiple times on hold, and... my phone should be back on the network in 3-5 days. Of course, AT&T dropped my old phone like a hot rock once the news hit them that I was leaving... but they did warn me about that. Here's hoping nobody *really* needs to get hold of me remotely for a few days.

No comments: