Friday, August 31, 2007

Motivation

As you might guess from my profile picture, I have cats. I tend to be comparatively lax in the rules I expect them to adhere to, and, generally, we coexist nicely... and if there are temptations that I think are too great for them, I find ways to work around them. One such is scavenging from the kitchen trash.

Back when they were much younger, they took an interest in the trash, and, in the dark of night, would take to tipping the can over and sorting through the contents for tasty treats... a problem that I fixed by using a piece of twine to harness the trashcan to some drawers in my kitchen. Everything was golden for years thereafter... but last night I tossed something apparently irresistible to them, two slices of old pizza.

Yes, they got the lid off the trash, got the pizza out, and ate all the cheese and pepperoni off of the slices... but the impressive thing to me is that they managed to do this without waking me up, which is no mean feat. Sure, I sleep soundly, but I usually trigger awake off of "unusual" sounds, which I would think that whole sequence qualifies. Makes me wonder how much coordination between the two of them was involved, and how much pre-planning there might have been... I know, I know, it was probably a spur-of-the-moment decision on one of their parts, but there's always that nagging doubt... :)

2 comments:

Matt said...

Oh, they planned it. They've been planning it for months. There just wasn't anything worthwhile before. They even paid some squirrels for a technical review.

delRhode said...

So that's what those squirrels are doing in my attic, contracting out their services... might explain the other cats around the house, too... :)