Friday, August 10, 2007

Consequenses

Well, my tech support fun continues... but a bit of an unexpected twist came about today. You see, the gent I had been communicating with seemed to have it fixated in his head that some other program installed on my server must be the source of the problems with their software... and was getting desperate enough to start tossing Microsoft bulletins at me that had no bearing on the problem at hand, and suggesting that the other, standard Microsoft systems I had in place would prevent them from providing more help. Since I had just recently been given the email address of their sales weasel for other reasons, I included him in a mildly heated reply, expecting maybe to get somebody to look at his work, and... well... correct him.

Boy, did I misjudge. I got a call from the sales weasel in question, letting me know that the gent in question had acted inappropriately and was no longer on my problem, but it had been given to a 'senior' technician, and oh, he hasn't called you yet? Oh, and maybe you would like to talk to this consultant buddy of mine, etc., etc. While I'm impressed by the seriousness with which they're now taking this problem, I have to wonder about their prior tech. I mean, yes, his general knowledge level was below mine, and maybe he wasn't ready for the front lines of tech support... but, from the tone of people involved, it sounds like the guy might have gotten canned outright. If that's the case... well, my feelings are mixed. On the one hand, incompetence shouldn't be tolerated/rewarded... but on the other, it's never a good feeling to have a direct hand in getting someone fired who's doing their best with what they have.

Well, at any rate, here's hoping that the guy's doing okay... and is taking a lesson from this other than "that guy in Spokane was such a dick!"

No comments: