Thursday, February 14, 2008

Games, for better or worse

Well, I finally finished my initial sort... looks like I've removed about half the assorted game boxes I had laying about, and none too soon at that, considering the layers of dust and cat hair I found on some of them. All the games I have left now, I can run whenever I want, without thinking about how long it'll take to get it installed, will it work on my system, etc, etc.

One odd bit I noticed in the process... it seems like many of the games I thought of as being "pretty cool" in earlier days were the ones that gave me the most grief... so, no Fallout, no Black & White, no Thief, no System Shock 2... and, from what I can tell, it's mostly because the makers of those games made assumptions that just aren't valid these days (multi-core processors, for example, are the single biggest source of grief I found).

Oh well, I've still got a hoard of games to play with now (decided to start with Wizardry 8, because it's old enough that I barely remember anything about it, which is saying something when it comes to my memory), and space to put more when I get them. Too bad I just found out that the game I was most looking forward to (Spore) got pushed back to a September release. A pity, but I'm not sure whether I'm really that put out about it... yes, I would like some new shinies to play with, but with all the RPGs at my disposal now, it might be a while before I really "need" a new game... :)

2 comments:

Matt said...

So, does this mean you are no longer looking for a 3.5 USB drive? 'Cause Scott found one at work and it is sitting on my desk.

delRhode said...

Oh no, I'll still take the drive for a spin... I've started down the path of truly ancient geekdom, I'll see it through to the end. This post was more towards the semi-modern stuff... you know, games released this milennium, that sort of thing... :)